The oceans are in trouble and are literally choking to death. Waste is contaminating beaches and accumulating in the blue depths and on uninhabited islands. The sea is being polluted by toxic substances and even inconsiderate fishing practices are disrupting its balance. Let's change it together.
Join the sailors from yachting°com. Together we can keep the oceans blue and the beaches clean. We’ll support all proactive and responsible sailors by providing a boat for free. Sail Blue!
What is Sail Blue?
Sail Blue is an informal initiative to promote responsible attitudes, the protection and cleaning of beaches, coastline and the underwater world.
- We encourage heroic sailors to save the environment, clean their beaches and protect the ocean throughout their voyages
- Spreading awareness, inspiring and connecting enthusiasts
- We monitor trouble spots and positive examples
- We organize joint eco-responsible cruises and events
How to get involved?
- By yourself. Connect your sailing holiday with beach cleaning, responsible sailing or mapping of places and events. We’ll provide sailors who do this with free boat rental.
- Share the idea. Show that you care about the oceans and help us spread the word among other sailors and connect them. We’ll provide you with a beautiful boat flag and lots of ideas on how to get involved.
- Go with us. Join the joint fleet cruise. We’ll enjoy some fine sailing and make the beaches pristine again.
Want to join? Let us know and get yachting°com support. Every small step counts.
Why was Sail Blue born?
The oceans and the sea cover more than 70 % of our planet, giving us life and truly wonderful experiences. We need to change to keep it that way.
- Every year more than 8 million tonnes of plastics get into the ocean. According to recent studies, the figure may be even higher - up to 14 million tonnes per year.
- Each year waste and "ghost nets" kill up to one million seabirds, 100,000 marine mammals, sea turtles and countless fish.
- According to some estimates, by 2050 there will be more plastic in the ocean than fish, and 99% of seabirds will have fragments of plastic in their bowels.
- Many toxic substances get into the water. They end up in the bodies of animals, killing them or negatively affecting their reproductive organs, which in turn threatens the fish, bird and other animal populations.
- Inconsiderate fishing practices and overfishing of certain species are also huge issues. Plus, of course, humans end up consuming the contaminated fish.
- The biggest problem is climate change, which also affects many sailing locations. The temperature of the oceans is rising, the glaciers melting, the acidity increasing, oxygenation decreasing and the oceans suffocating.
Let's do it together. Cooperate, discuss, map eco-friendly marinas, polluted places and all worthwhile events and initiatives. Send us your ideas on what we can do at sea to improve the state of the ocean, or send photos of your actions to inspire others.
The ocean is the most beautiful element for us sailors. Every small step that helps reduce pollution and improve its condition counts. Thank you.